Slant 33


I've been catching up on some reading on the Slant 33 blog. What I really like about the blog is the diversity of voices that speak on given youth ministry topics. I also appreciate each slants brevity. Each writer brings richness, asks challenging questions, and isn't afraid to say that they may not have all of the answers. It's in a space like this that I feel most empowered, enriched, and encouraged as we're safe in our transparencies as well as saturated in wisdom and advice gained from people with solid experience and training in different contexts.

A current slant written recently by our buddy Josh Griffin, made me laugh--is it opposite day? He answers the question about how to respond to a parents complaints. The sacarsm is thick--something I appreciate because it takes the boring edge off stuff we absolutely need to know in order to be great youth leaders. Kara Powell chimes in with an impacting "same-side trust" nugget. While Michelle Lang encourages to know why we do what we do when we do it (our mission and vision) as we enter conversations with people who may not understand yet where we are coming from.

You can read some of the slants I've written over the past couple of years but I'd encourage you to really stretch and read someone you're not familiar with. The change of pace will invigorate your day as you get ready for another weekend loving teenagers.

I guarantee the stories will refresh you, you'll gain some knowledge from mentors right there on your screen, and you'll probably get a good laugh in as well. Can't think of a better way to start a Thursday.